HOW SNAPCHAT WORKS
Snapchat is a photo- and video-messaging app that launched in 2011. Snapchat is unique in that all photos and videos only last a brief amount of time before they disappear forever, making the app ephemeral in nature, though users can take a screenshot to save snaps. As of May 2014, the app's users were sending 700 million photos/videos per day. If your target audience is age 13-29, Snapchat may be the answer you’re looking for. It’s a popular mobile app—it logs over 800 million messages every day—that shares photos and videos that disappear after a short time.
Do you know?• 71% of Snapchat users are under 34 years old.
• Roughly 70% of Snapchat users are female.
• 50% of Male College students share selfies on Snapchat, the number is higher in Female college students. 77% to be precise.
• 45% of Snapchat users are aged between 18-24.
• More than 400 million Snapchat stories are created per day.
• Total Number of Daily Active Snapchat Users are 100 million
• More than 20,000 photos are shared every second.
8 Influential Business Uses of Snapchat
1. Flash salesLet your customers know of a sale and Snap them a coupon or keyword they have to use in order to cash in.
2. Scavenger HuntSnap users an image of a product they have to find in the store to get 20% off.
3. Secret Menu ItemMake up a secret menu item that customers could only eat that day.
4. Snapchat ContestCreate a contest where snapchat users have to write down your 10 keywords or images in order to win a free trip.
5. Hello from CompanyJust a quick "Hello!" can make you relevant. Everyone likes to be said hi to.
6. Fill in the blankAs you are able to add text to any image… leave the middle word out and have people guess it on twitter to get a sale.
7. Speedy Snap ResponsesSend your customers a Snap letting them know that the first to respond with a Snap back to you will win a prize.
8. Build Your FollowingHave your Snapchat followers get their friends to follow you? When they send you proof of those followers, have each new friend send you a Snap to verify, then reward them all with a fun freebie.
Some Brands to ConsiderIf you do plan to experiment, you can’t go too wrong learning from some of the brands already on the service.
• Taco Bell (tacobell — joined April 2013)
• GrubHub (grubhub — joined Aug. 2013)
• New Orleans Saints (saints — joined Oct. 2013)
• 17 Magazine (SeventeenMag — joined Dec. 2013)
• HBO’s Girls (girlshbo — joined Jan. 2014)
• EA Sports (easports_snaps — joined Jan. 2014)
• LA County Museum of Art (lacma_museum — joined July 2014)
• Acura (acura_insider)
• Wet Seal (wetseal)
• MTV (mtv)
• McDonald’s (McDonalds)
• Ellen (ellen)
• Mountain Dew (mountaindew)
• Glee (gleeonfox)
• General Electric (generalelectric)
• Pitch Perfect 2 (pitchperfect2)
• Mashable (mashable)
• The Verge (therealverge)
• 20th Century Fox (foxmovies)